LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.23 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 24 00:22:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.2004 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.23

Leve Laaglanders,

Referring to Gustaaf van Moorsel's enticing question regarding blackstrap
molasses and the difference between Dutch/Flemish "siroop" and "stroop",
here a few amateurish thoughts:

Received wisdom has it that the "Strap" in "Blackstrap Molasses" derives
from Dutch "stroop". Inasmuch as this is the original question, we have a
circular situation. Where I grew up (Appalachian Mountains), blackstrap
molasses was the last, very last, juice that could be squeezed out of
sorghum or sugar cane, whichever one was available at the time. It was
indeed thick, dark and viscous.

Dictionaries inform us that Blackstrap is the "...thick, dark residue liquid
food that remains after the last extraction of sugar from cane or sorghum."
My grandfather, who made molasses yearly, told me that because blackstrap
comes from the third and final boiling of cane, and is actually the bottom,
last dregs of the barrel, he thought that the Dutch, in processing cane in
Guyana, Surinam and the Antilles (Leeward Islands) came into frequent
contact with English-speaking colonials who referred to blackstrap as the
"last drop" of the cane. The "last drop" became "laatste drop", then
shortened or elided to "stroop". Thus, Blackstrap should be "Black last
drop", or Black-stroop.

This might explain, as well, why the difference between "siroop" and
"stroop" begins with relative viscosity and dark umber hue.

Does that make everything chiaroscuro?

Beste groete,

Arthur Jones

----------

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.07.23 [11]E

Goedenavond Ron, Geuko, un alle:

"Etepetete" is a phrase that brings back ancient music to me. When a callow
youth, I studied at the University of Bonn on a Rotary Fellowship. At a
student party, I heard the phrase "etepetete" and asked what it meant.

The answer was indeed "excessively fastidious". To me, many Rhenish appeared
to be fastidious, although perhaps less so than the average Zuercher.

Another local added that the word should really be "etepletete" to conform
to Boennsch and Koelsch dialects that feature a trusive "l" on occasion,
viz., "Meine Schwester flickt bei den Belgiern". The next person then asks,
"Sie flickt? Ja Schloen!"

Ciao.

Arthur Jones

----------

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>

Hugo Zweep <hugo.zweep at valuersillawarra.com.au> wrote:

> I notice the word "ete petete" below, describing aspiring Hamburgers.
>
> Can anyone tell me more about that. My mother used to call one of my
> daughters a "hitte petitt" meaning she was bright, on the ball but in your
> face. That would have come from north east Groningen.

The word hittepetit is used in other parts of the Netherlands as well.
As far as I know, most people in the Netherlands will know what a
hittepetit is. In my personal experience it refers to a girl which a
strong personal opinion, albeit a little stuck up. I asked my girlfriend
too, and she says she thinks of a hittepetit as a girl preoccupied with
herself, always busy wearing the right make-up, carrying a handbag, etc.

Henry