LL-L "Language structure" 2004.07.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 25 16:35:40 UTC 2004

Sorry. This went out under the wrong heading. RFH
L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUL.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language structure" 2004.07.24 (04) [E]

Interesting message, Sandy, and I tend to agree with you.  But one thing you
said (quoted below) threw me:

> From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
> Subject: "Levity" [E]
>
> An example of semantic reversal resulting from syntax is in the song
> "Drink
> to me only":
>
> "If I could of Jove's nectar sup,
> "I would not change for thine."
>
> Of course, he means "I _would_ change for thine" (unless he wants a
> clout!) - but most people get the intended meaning and don't even notice
> what was actually said.

I think what was said here is exactly what was meant. I read it as: if
Jove's nectar were offered to me to drink, I would not take it in exchange
for your nectar (which I already have).

That said, I can think of a few other examples:

> I often notice this sort of thing in speech in
> English, including my own speech - which makes me wonder just how much of
> it
> goes on that I don't notice!
>
> Semantic reversal can be simply a matter of choice of vocabulary, though,
> for example, in Scots:
>
> "lairn" might mean "teach" or "learn".
> "listen" might mean "listen" or "make a sound";
> "herken" might mean "listen carefully" or "whisper";
> "dout" might mean "doubt" or "believe";
>
> and so on.
>
> Similarly, you hear people saying in English "You've got your trousers
> hanging out" for "You've got your shirt hanging out" &c.

I've often thought it odd that we say things like "That will teach you to be
late" when we mean "That will teach you not to be late."

I've also noted that a lot of people say "I could care less" (usually with
stress on "care") when they mean "I couldn't care less".  Even though
everyone knows that it means that the person doesn't care much at all, it
still irks me to hear it the "wrong" way.

Then there's "head over heels" (isn't your head normally over your heels?).

Kevin Caldwell (kcaldwell31 at comcast.net)