LL-L "Idiomatica" 2004.07.26 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 27 01:35:21 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUL.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: language use

Ron,

'Canny' is a word that has a multitude of meanings. It
can mean 'alright', 'good', 'nice', 'easy-going',
'steady-on/take it easy there'. It provides emphasis
when the occasion demands - 'Gan Canny', 'Go easy/look
out for yourself', 'canny bad', 'quite or very bad',
canny good (likewise), 'canny chep/blowk' 'nice chap
or bloke'  etc, etc.

'Aalreet' is 'alright' but it is also employed as a
greeting, so if you pass someone in the street you
know, you'd say: "Aalreet" and they'd say: "Aalreet or
aalreet thare".  In other words it's shorthand for
'How are you?". Some older people often say: "Whet
Cheor", directly translated as 'What Cheer', although
it is more of a statement than a question.

Gan canny,
Glenn