LL-L "History" 2004.06.03 (01) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jun 3 19:12:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.JUN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Dear Lowlanders,

I hope you are all still there and there is nothing wrong with the list
server.  I am wondering because I haven't heard anything from anyone in a
few days.  Well, I guess the travel season has begun and it's nicer to be
outside now that the weather is improving, at least in the Northern
Hemisphere.

Some of you may remember our discussion about the Hamburg flood of 1962.
Well, an English gentleman (Sapper M. Yarnold), who is not one of our
subscribers, found this discussion in our archives
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html) and was nice
enough to send us a summary of his experiences during the event.

Thanks a lot, Mike!  We who lived through the flood, especially those of us
hardest hit in (Harburg-)Wilhelmsburg like myself, fondly remember all the
incredible help we received from the neighboring countries as well as from
the United States and Canada.  Once again, a disaster proved to be an
opportunity for nations to come together for reasons other than conflict and
material gain.  So, to you, Mike, and to all the others who at that time
rushed to our aid, I send very sincere expressions of gratitude on behalf of
my family and the people in our then neighborhood.

Folks, please find a copy of Mike's letter below.

***