LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.05 (01) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jun 6 16:38:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JUN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.04 (07) [E]

Hi,
Isn´t this a quite common thing? E.g. "buck" can mean two different things
depending on the socio-linguistic context. Or is this not what you mean,
John?
Greetings to all, Mike Wintzer

> From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: False Friends
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
>
> I was writing something the other day about 'False Friends' (Faux Amis)
> between different languages; you must all be aware of so many of them,
like
> 'gift' in English, meaning 'a present', and 'Gift' in German, meaning
> 'poison' -a totally false friend, while others are partially false - thus,
> French 'voyage' is any journey, while the English 'voyage' is only a
journey
> by sea.
>
> Now, I began to wonder about something, and I need to phrase this
carefully:
> do False Friends also commonly occur between contiguous speech forms? What
> mean are there False Friends, for instance, between Standard German and
Low

----------

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.05 (07) [E]

Hi,
I have noticed in a number of  languages that have different words for teach
and learn (some don´t) that the word for learn is used for teach. My
impression is that it tends to be a question of social stratum. Maybe you
haven´t heard this one yet:
Teacher in note to parents of little-Erna: Sie müssen Klein-Erna besser
waschen, sie riecht.
Answer note from Mother: Sie sollen ihr nicht riechen, sie sollen ihr
lernen.
Nichts für ungut, tschüß,
Mike Wintzer

----------

From: yasuji <yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp>
Subject: False friend

Hallo friends,

English wors "learn" is in German "lernen". But, when I started to learn
Plattdeutsch (Low Saxon), I found that High German words "lernen" and
"lehren" can be translated into only one Low Saxon word "lehren". Maybe I
must check
the situation of the sentence to know if it means "lernen"(to learn) or
"lehren" (to teach).
Regards,

Yasuji Waki

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: False friends

Dear Lowlanders,

Indeed, in Lowlands Saxon (Low German) _leyren_ (<lehr(e)n> ~ <liehr(e)n>,
which to German ears sounds like 'to teach') can be used for both 'to teach'
and 'to learn'.  In most cases the meaning is clear within a given context.
If it is not, you can alternatively use _by-bringen_ (<bibringen>, cf.
German _beibringen_), _by-böygen_ (<bibögen> ~ <bibeugen>) or _an-leyren_
(<anlehr(e)n> ~ <an-liehr(e)n>, cf. German _anlernen_ 'to train') for 'to
teach' and _af-leyren_ (<aflehr(e)n> ~ <afliehr(e)n>) for 'to learn'.   You
can also use _studeyren_ (<studeern> ~ <studiern>) for 'to learn', as well
as for 'to try', 'to have a go at' (while in German _studieren_ only means
'to study (at a tertiary institution)').

Again, _tou-leyren_ (<tolehr(e)n> ~ <toliehr(e)n>), which carries the
connotation of 'to add knowledge', can be either 'to teach', 'to educate'
(for instance as performed by a governess or a trade master) or 'to learn
(in addition)', depending on the context.

Interestingly, in Missingsch (German dialects on Lowlands Saxon substrates)
it is _lernen_ (cf. German _lernen_ 'to learn') that tends to be used for
both 'to teach' and 'to learn' ...