LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.11 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 11 19:37:42 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JUN.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "False friends" 2004.06.11 (01) [E]

At 07:30 AM 06/11/04 -0700, Troy Sagrillo wrote:
>The "sick" vs. "ill" issue in English has to do with US vs. British
>varieties. In North American English "sick" *primarily* means "suffering
>from or affected with an illness", so it is completely normally to say
>"doctor, I feel sick" or "I am sick; I can't come to work to day". It can
>also mean "mentally ill or disturbed" (informally in "one sick puppy"
>meaning "crazy person"), but this is a secondary usage.
>
>In my Dutch class, the instructor (who is more familiar with British
>English) went out of his way to explain that Dutch "ziek" means "ill" not
>"sick", much to the confusion of his American and Canadian students...

Then we have the famous seemingly contradictory senses of "homesick" and
"seasick", as well as the somewhat confusing sentence one sometimes sees in
church bulletins, requesting prayers for "the sick of this parish."

Finally, perhaps under False Friends as well, "Ile de France" does not mean
"Sick of France."

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontario