LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.06.13 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jun 13 16:20:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JUN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Dan Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Dear All,

Unfortunately I was unable to open the below link - but then again I have
been having some computer difficulties lately...

In reference to what Reinhard said below I can only agree that the languages
most closely related to West Frisian ought to be included in a comparative
study of the kind.

Among West Frisians I have noted a tendency to stress and over-emphasise an
affiliation with the Scandinavian languages, Danish in particular. I don't
know why this is but the similarities to Scandinavian are few (except for
the features shared by all Germanic languages) compared to the connections
with English, Low Saxon and not to mention the other varieties of Frisian.
I've always found West Frisian to be very similar to Low Saxon and have also
heard West Frisians saying that they find Frisian has many expressions
'closer to German than to Dutch'. Such subjective remarks are very
interesting when trying to ascertain certain attitudes.

Best wishes to all,
Dan

=============

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>

Beste liëglanners,

I'd like to bring under your attention a very interesting paper that
Wilbert Heeringa has published together with Charlotte Gooskens, titled
"The Position of Frisian in the Germanic Language Area". The languages
that are compared with Frisian are Icelandic, Faroese, Norwegian,
Swedish, Danish, English, Dutch and German. Linguistic distances are
calculated and related to mutual intelligibility. You can find it here:
http://www.let.rug.nl/~heeringa/dialectology/papers/tdg03.pdf
More can be found under
http://www.let.rug.nl/~heeringa/dialectology/papers/

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks for the reference (above), Luc.

This is an interesting article.  Unfortunately, there are some omissions.
It does not include Scots, but in my opinion more serious still is the
omission of Saterland (East) Frisian and the North Frisian varieties of
Germany.  It gets tiresome when people write about "Frisian" and only refer
to Westerlauwer Frisian of the Netherlands.  Also serious is the omission of
Lowlands Saxon (Low German), given that Frisian, Dutch and German are
included.  LS is a missing linkthere, so to speak.  Hopefully, all these
will be included in future studies.

Thanks again.