LL-L "Semantics" 2004.06.15 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 15 20:40:47 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2004.06.15 (01) [E]

Mark mentioned various euphemisms... so what do you call the opposite of a
euphemism? There are former four-letter or taboo words which nowadays have
come to mean something completely harmless. For example, in German, "geil"
used to mean "randy, horny", and now, within two short generations, it has
come to also (and even predominantly) mean " really great, cool, phat". When
my teenage daughter's friend wanted to pay me a compliment recently, she
called me "affengeil", and I was truly flattered - much more so than my
mother would have been if one of my friends had called her "horny as a
monkey"! That would have been absolutely unthinkable!!!

Looks like most areas where euphemisms are applied either lie below the
belt, or they have to do with the last big taboo in most western cultures -
passing away, buying the farm, going west, kicking the bucket, departing,
expiring, pushing up the daisies, being no longer among us!

Wait, there are more issues among politicians, of course... hundreds of
euphemisms for telling lies and, lately, even for torture... er, I mean,
specialized gentle persuasion!

Gabriele Kahn