LL-L "Administrativia" 2004.06.16 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 16 15:22:12 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUN.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-L.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

This is another administrative message. I sent the last one out on June 1,
2004.

First of all, I would like to welcome those who have joined us since then.
You will find their places of residence listed below.

I am very happy that a few people have rejoined us, several of them of the
"vocal" type.  It is great to have them back (and to know that they weren't
able to stay away for good).

There are no quota of any kind on this list.  Nevertheless, I would like to
particularly encourage our female subscribers to come forth and post.  There
are too few of you that do.  Furthermore, it is up to each subscriber to
choose to stay silently in the background "lurking" or to come forward to
participate in information exchange.  Yet, I would like to take this
opportunity to encourage everyone who has not firmly made up his or her mind
to try participating.  Please bear in mind that nothing horrible will happen
if you do.  No one will ridicule you, you are not expected to be experts in
anything, and your language proficiency (whichever language) does not need
to be perfect.  If you have burning questions that are relevant to this
list, or if you feel very tempted to share something relevant, please have a
go.  If you have any prior questions and/or are worried you do the wrong
thing, please read the rules (see below), and ask me
(lowlands-l at lowlands-L.net) if you are still unsure then.

Rules and Guidelines:
Dutch: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regels
English: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules
German: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln-de
Limburgish: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regele
Lowlands Saxon (Low German): http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln
Russian: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules-ru

There are four types of things that are often wrong even in more experienced
subscribers' posting submissions:

(1) Keep subjects separate
(2) Stick to the subject title
(3) Edit quotes
(4) Give credit

Please pay particular attention to these on the Rules and Guideline pages.

Please also bear in mind that the list server stips all messages of special
formatting and attachments.  So please do not bother with those.

Please also pay attention to the following:

TEMPORARY ABSENCE
Before you take a trip or for some other reason need to stop LL-L mail
arriving for a given length of time, please write to us
(lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net) to let us know the date you want mail to be
stopped and the date you want mail to be resumed. As some of our members can
attest, this has been working really well, certainly beats the old, crude
method of signing off and on again. Once in a while people find themselves
unsubscribed without notice. Some of them immediately suspect the worst:
that I have "booted them out" for some infraction or other. (I know this for
sure only about those that contact me.) Please do not jump to this
conclusion unless you have received prior reprimands and warnings (which has
occurred very rarely, not at all for well over one year). If you find
yourself disconnected from Lowlands-L, the reason is most likely that the
automated server has unsubscribed your address because of repeated
"bouncing," i.e., because your mail servers keep informing the list server
that you cannot be reached or is filled above quota. Most of the time this
is due to temporary disconnection. Sometimes the reason is that a
subscriber's junk mail filter (or "spam" filter) has not been "told" to
exempt Lowlands-L mail, which is why our mailings do not arrive in your
inboxes. So, if Lowlands-L mail stops coming, please first check your "spam"
filters and adjust them if necessary, and only contact me about the problem
if all of the above fails. Should you indeed be disconnected, please write
to me or resubmit an application
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=subscription). I'll be more than
happy to bring you swiftly back to the fold.

USE OF LANGUAGE
Preferably, you should submit postings in any one of the Lowlands language
varieties (including English). No language variety is considered better or
worse than others on this list. However, you need not limit yourselves to
Lowlands varieties, because *any* language or language variety is
permissible and welcome. Just bear in mind that the more "exotic" your
language choice the fewer members will understand you. If you use a language
that is foreign to you (including English, of course), please do not worry
about making mistakes. Once in a while I dabble in Afrikaans, Dutch,
Frisian, Scots and other languages, knowing full well that my proficiency is
wanting. One of the reasons I do this is to signal an invitation for you to
pluck up the courage to use the languages you are learning. Those of you who
use language varieties that are less commonly encountered and are of
interest to folks on this list may want to consider writing a translation
into one of the more common languages. Learners and researchers will thank
you. If you wonder what languages we are being used, please look for clues
in the subject line ([ ]).

TOPICS
You are quite welcome to mention interests that are not directly
Lowlands-related. Since hardly anything in this world of ours is completely
irrelevant and unrelated to other things, we often strike out beyond our
garden fence. However, we always want to keep an eye on our main area and
want to explore in what ways those "external" matters apply to or impact our
Lowlands area and what we can learn from them. Please also bear in mind that
you need not limit yourselves to language matters. Anything about culture,
history, geography, belief systems and especially interethnic, interregional
and international relations is welcome, as long as the Lowlands remain our
main focus. (We have members with specific interests, such as architecture,
music, genealogy or poetry, and their contributions are just as well
received as any.) If you have any questions, please let us know. Don't wait
and get all frustrated! As far as I know, there are no mind readers among
us. If you fear that your questions or comments would be too basic, and that
the "experts" on the List would laugh at you, please rest assured that any
relevant question is perfectly permitted, while derisive behavior is not,
would not slip by me (unless I'm on automatic pilot, in which case I would
shoulder the blame). We have been an exceptionally well-behaved group with a
familial and friendly atmosphere for over nine years now. It is very
important to us that everyone feels welcome and valued, irrespective of
knowledge, education, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender, sexual
orientation and any other background facets.  We are all here to learn,
learn together and from each other.

Lowlands-L is now well into its tenth year. Let's keep it going strong!
Thanks for your support!

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

***

Places of Residence of New Lowlanders since June 1, 2004:

   Australia:
        New South Wales:
             Sydney [1]
   Belgium:
        Western Flanders (West-Vlaanderen):
             Wevelgen [1]
   Canada:
        British Columbia:
             Abbotsford [1]
   Denmark:
        Copenhagen (København):
             Copenhagen (København) [1]
   Germany:
        Lower Saxony (Neddersassen/Niedersachsen):
             Hanover (Hannover) [1]
   Malaysia:
        Butterworth:
             Butterworth [1]