LL-L "Semantics" 2004.06.16 (03) [E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 16 21:45:30 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUN.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Utz H. Woltmann <uwoltmann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2004.06.16 (02) [E]

>From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Semantics
>

>The German cognate of _dul_ ~ _dol_ is, predictably, _toll_ 'crazed',
>'crazy'.  It can also be used to mean 'great', 'fantastic', etc. (which LS
>_dul_ ~ _dol_ can not).  In Northern German dialects (which have been
>variously influenced by LS), _doll_ has been borrowed in the specialized
>sense of 'very (much)', 'greatly', etc.  For example, _Sie hat sich (ganz)
>doll gefreut_ 'She was terribly glad'.  So there is a difference between
>native _toll_ and loaned _doll_ (though so far I have never come across the
>combination _doll toll_ 'terribly crazy').

Moin Ron,

in Bremen seggt se ok in Missingsch: "Dascha doll, is dascha man" orrer
"Dascha´n dolles Ding, is dascha man".

Kumpelmenten
Utz H. Woltmann

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Semantics

Moin, Utz!

> in Bremen seggt se ok in Missingsch: "Dascha doll, is dascha man" orrer
> "Dascha´n dolles Ding, is dascha man".

Dange, dassu mich daran erinnast, Utz.  Genaauso sacht man dasscha auch in
Hambuggä Missingsch!  Dscha, weischa: iägnkwas muss man immä vägessn.

Wees' bedankt, dat Du my daar up anstöten hest, Utz.  Lyk so segt 'n dat in
't Hamborger Missingsch!  Tjer, weetst ja, wo dat so gayt: eyn saak mutt 'n
altyd vergeten.

Folks, Utz reminded me that in Bremen Missingsch (German dialect with
Lowlands Saxon [Low German] substrate) you can use _doll_ to mean 'great',
'fantastic', etc., also.  I thanked him and told him that this applies in
Hamburg Missingsch as well.