LL-L "Morphology" 2004.06.22 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jun 22 20:20:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JUN.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.06.22 (01) [E]

Dear Reinhard,
Subject: Morphology

    Just a quick one while I think about it.
In Afrikaans we still say ( where an Englishman says 'sold it for a song')
'Vir 'n appel en 'n ei' - 'For an apple & an egg', the Afrikaans singular &
plural is 'eier' (singular), & 'eiers' (plural).
I believed it to be hypercorrection.

    Was it once 'skoe - skoen'? like Middle English 'shoe - shoen'?
The Afrikaans is skoen - skoene
    Ditto 'kind - kinder'?
Afrikaans 'kind - kinders'

> Dutch:
>    kind [kɪnt] 'child'
>    kinderen ['kɪndərə(n)] 'children'
> Afrikaans:
>    kind [kə̃nt] 'child'
>    kinders ['kə̃n(d)ərs] 'children'

Afrikaans wanders furthest, in my opinion, from analytic to idiosyncratic in
the matter of plurals specifically, though not so bad as in English
muis - muise & huis - huise (mouse & house)
leeu - leeus & leuen - leuens (lion & lie)
Here is vowel mutation, with '-s' & with '-e' suffix
karba - karba:s & vat - va:te (both mean barrel, like 'carboy' & 'vat')
((the colon after the vowel isn't how we spell it, that's the phonetic way.
You just have to know)).
ou - ouens & nooi - nooiens (lads & lasses)
& alternatives
kat - kattens of katte & lam - lammers of lamme (cat & lamb)

Yrs sincerely,
Mark