LL-L "Syntax" 2004.06.23 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 23 20:03:05 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUN.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Andy (Scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.06.23 (02) [E]

Glenn Simpson wrote: Subject: Phrases

> I've been doing some transcription of tapes & have
> become aware of a phrase used by a number of people in
> the Northumberland area of England. They 'for-to-get'
> as in "you needs lots of money 'for-to-get' that car".
> Its doesn't mean 'forgotten'. Is this used anywhere
> else around the globe.

Its used in Scots meaning 'in order to'.

see http://www.scots-online.org/grammar/verbs.htm

Caw cannie,

Andy Eagle

----------

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: syntax[E]

Ron,

On the 'for-to-get' phrase, I think that you're right
that it may have become 'petrified' in certain
localities. Actually I should have written it in
Northumbrian 'fo'-tu-get' as it tends to be used that
way most often. I think a lot of Northumbrian is
language that has remained in use but died out
elsewhere.

Interesting to see that other lowlands languages are
similar.

Keep ahaad,

Glenn