LL-L "Language politics" 2004.06.23 (13) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jun 23 23:49:33 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUN.2004 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: Zeeuws

Hoi Marco,
Ik zie een ideale kans voor LLs om te laten zien dat we niet alleen een
babbel- en zeurklupje zijn maar ook in staat  om tot actie over te gaan. Ik
stel voor, Marco, dat je een text opstelt die iedereen die daarvoor voelt
naar de Provincie stuurt. Ik denk wel dat dat honderden berichten zal
opleveren. Indien ik me vergis...tant pis.
Vriendelijke groeten, Mike Wintzer

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Hi, Marco!

Thanks for sharing the sad news about the withholding of language status for
Zeelandic in the Netherlands.  I suppose quite a few of us would like to
help.

I agree with Mike (ondanks zijn niet bijzonder flatteuze beschrijving van
onse lijst) that we need some type of appeal letter template (in Dutch and
English?), if for no other reason then to tell us what we should and should
not write, possibly using our own words to avoid cookie-cutter letter.

Mike:

> Ik zie een ideale kans voor LLs om te laten zien dat we niet
> alleen een babbel- en zeurklupje zijn

Well, "babbling" and "boring" is what we do here.  I suppose that's within
the sphere of our first and foremost purpose:

<quote>
Lowlands-L is dedicated to discussion, exchange and dissemination of
information as well as to networking among persons who have certain
interests in common
<unquote>

While it *is* mentioned that we equally respect and are willing to be
equally supportive of *all* language and culture varieties within our focus
area, and while we have quite frequently used the List to appeal for
support, this is not and will never be a political action organization.

Lowlands-L is a "home" for *all* the Lowlands languages and cultures, not
only for those of minorities.  In fact, we are in the interesting position
of dealing both with some of the world's smallest and most endangered
language varieties (Frisian varieties of Germany) and with English, *the*
most powerful language in today's world.  We are not in the business of
taking sides and of spending all our time sticking up for the supposed
underdog, laudable such a pursuit and your preoccupation with it may be.

Mike, I very much respect the place in which you have your heart.  By the
same token, I would be pleased if you would afford our information exchange
the same degree of respect.  You may not have meant to come across so hard,
but some of us may take exception to the depiction _babbel- en zeurklupje_
"little babble and bore club."