LL-L "Orthography" 2004.06.25 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 25 14:51:02 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUN.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Lee Goldberg <leybl_goldberg at yahoo.com>
Subject: Deaf Culture (Korean and Chinese)

Actually, Chinese characters are still used in South Korea, mixed together
with the native Hangul alphabet (much as in Japan), but not in North Korea
(you're right about Vietnam).   According to Bernard Comrie, ed., "The
World's Major Languages" (1987), the South Korean government at that time
required students in secondary schools to learn 1,800 Chinese characters.
If you pick up a newspaper in a Korean restaurant in the U.S., you'll see
some Chinese characters (called "hamsa", I believe, in Korea, which is the
same word as standard Chinese "Han4 Zi4" and Japanese 'kanji') on each page
(but not nearly enough to represent all the words of Chinese origin, which
are said to make up more than half of the Korean vocabulary).

Lee