LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.06.25 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jun 25 16:00:09 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUN.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn
Subject: Language varieties

Folks,

I received a message from someone who contributes information about and in
the Low Franconian dialect of Mühlheim (Mölm) an der Ruhr, Germany.  As far
as I can tell, this dialect and related ones of farwestern Germany are
closest related to Limburgish, somewhat farther probably also to Brabantish,
Flemish and Dutch, but I leave this to our experts to decide.

First of all, here is the communication from Mr. Firla (whom I am copying
here):

<quote>

Hello Mr. Hahn,
I just discovered your net-contributions to questions of Low Franconian
dialects.
And the versions of "Sinter Mätes Vögelschen".
Would you please be so kind  to have a friendly look on my website, where I
have - under "Mölmsche Lieder" - some pages of "Mätes-Forschung"

http://moelmsch.muelheim-ruhr.de

Perhaps you understand German as well?

Best regards

Franz Firla
</quote>

Yes, I understand German as well, as do many others on our list.  And I
understand your local dialect pretty well also.

Below is my attempt at loosely assimilating the spelling of the poem "Us
Dörpke" ("Our Village") by Walter Ferschen
(http://www.muelheim-ruhr.de/ae4e7d31fdd16fce76f9d521adc3bb51.html) to the
orthography of the Limburgish varieties of the Netherlands and Belgium.
Corrections and suggestions would be welcome.  Note short /a/ realized as
"au" (e.g., _Laund_ 'land', 'country') like in Mennonite Lowlands Saxon (Low
German, Plautdietsch)!

The writer of the poem is quite right in saying that, despite the reputation
of the area as a dismal coal mining region, the area he loves is quite
beautiful and charming, very lush and green.  As a teen I once spent a few
summer weeks in Mühlheim (Mölm) and thought it and the people there were
just lovely.  Unfortunately, I was too young and inexperienced to appreciate
their language varieties at the time.

***

   ÓS DÖRPKE

   Ós haimaot ös em Duutsjen laund
   eis kaolenpot mèr eis bekaunt.
   Mer, dat nou graad hie oeze gegend
   en stukse èrd ös, van Got gegeve,
   wat zich waal zene lote koos,
   dat wait bai oes der klainste poos.
   Wen boeterluud van aunderwèrts,
   die ós dörpke nei kenneliert,
   nou zich waal geve gròte muhe
   ós Roerlaund eis drekgat te versjrieë,
   do zègge wai hat: "Haulent die sjnoete",
   wege dat wai op oes dörp niks koemme lote.
   Dat wèrt oes haimaot nei gerèch,
   oes Saan, dat ös garnei zò sjlèch.
   Jo, hie sjtond kain haoge berge eröm,
   op die me im zoemmer sjie vare kan.
   Et gif ouk kaine sjtraund met saund
   hie, in oezem Saansjen laund
   oen bös no'm meir, dat waite git
   ös et waal gans ordenlich wied.
   Wat mak nou graad in oezem dörp
   dat leive mangs sò levenswèrt?
   Woröm doon völ, die erges vòrtgegange,
   öär leve lang aan Saan me'm hatte hange,
   vöär die, mit welterfahrung mèr eis stief
   oes leiv dörpke al ömmer haimaot bliev?
   Dat löt zich nei sò rèch verklöäre,
   et ös, sèlvs vöär die, die hie gebòre,
   al ömmer wieër en gròt erbaue,