LL-L "Onomastica" 2004.06.28 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jun 28 22:23:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUN.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at prtc.net>
Subject: Etymology

Dear Ron and other Lowland fans,

At the tender age of nine I moved into the New York Township of Mannheim.
Dad said that "Mann" was the German for "man" and "Heim" the German for
"home", but couldn't explain why the Township to the northeast was called
"Oppenheim".

Totally innocent of any language but third grade English, I convinced myself
it had to be Oppenheim because it was across the river from us. Also it
consisted of some marginal farms in the threshhold of my beloved Adirondack
mountains, while our side had a slipper factory, the "Hal Schumacher"
baseball bat factory, a lumber mill, churches, bars and other modern
conveniences.

I still wonder about those names. Can anybody help me?

Jorge Potter

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Onomastica

Hi, Jorge!

This _Oppen-_ in Central German place names (perhaps also _Offen-_, as in
_Offenbach_, farther south) tends to refer either to "upper" or to a
sacrificial cult center (cf. German _Opfer_ 'sacrifice' < _opfern_ 'to
sacrifice' < Old German _opfarôn_ < Late Church Latin _operârî_ 'to
work/operate').  I don't know which one it is.

German shift: -p- > -pp- > -pf- (> -ff-)

_Heim_ refers to 'settlement', 'village', and has numerous equivalent in
Germanic and indeed Indo-European, amongst others English _-ham_.

Strictly speaking, this does not fall into the Lowlands area, but I'll let
it slide.