LL-L "Morphology" 2004.03.03 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 3 18:43:35 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAR.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Dear Lowlanders,

I am fascinated by what seems to be morphemic change.  This includes
Lowlandic cases of seeming change of verb roots.

(Note my use of "seeming".  I am implying a question, or an invitation for
you to explain.)

Both in Mennonite Lowlands Saxon (Plautdietsch) and in Afrikaans it looks as
though the infinitive suffix /-(@)n/ has been incorporated into the roots of
the verbs for 'to go', 'to stand' and 'to do'.

(< > = conventional German-based orthographic representation)

First "regular" cases ('go' 'stand' 'do'):

Northern Lowlands Saxon (Low German):
Root:  /gaa-/  /staa-/  /dou-/
1st pl.:  wy gaat ~ gaan (<wi gaht ~ gahn>)
     wy staat ~ staan (<wi staht ~ stahn>)
     wy dout ~ doun (<wi doot ~ doon>)

Standard Dutch:
Root:  /gaa-/  /staa-/  /duu-/
Infinitive:  gaan  staan  doen
1st sg.:  ik ga  ik sta  ik doe
1st pl.:  wij gaan  wij staan  wij doen

Now "irregular" ones:

Standard Afrikaans (which has -0 suffixes throughout):
Root:  /gaan-/  /staan-/  /duun-/
Infinitive:  gaan  staan  doen
1st sg.: ek gaan  ek staan  ek doen
1st pl.:  wy gaan  wy staan  wy doen

Mennonite Lowlands Saxon (Plautdietsch):
Root:  /gaan-/  /staan-/  /doun-/
Infinitive:  (/gaan- at n/) gane (<gohne>)
     (/staan- at n/) stane (<stohne>)
     (/doun- at n/) doune (<doone>)
1st pl.:  wi gane (<wie go(h)ne>)
     wy stane (<wie sto(h)ne>)
     wy doune (<wie do(o)ne>)

(Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.)

Two questions:

(1) Is it really absorption of infinitive /-n/ into the root?  (If not, what
is it?)

(2) Are there other Lowlands or related language varieties that do this or
something of this sort?

Thanks in anticipation.