LL-L "Etymology" 2004.03.03 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 4 01:19:04 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAR.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
Subject: "Etymology"

> From: Holger Weigelt <platt at holger-weigelt.de>
> Subject: "Etymology"
>
> > From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Etymology
> >
> > Dear Lowlanders,
> >
> > Here's another Middle Saxon ("Middle Low German") loan in English
> > (apparently not in Scots), though the folks at the Oxford Dictionary
> aren't
> > quite sure about it and if it is from the "Middle" period:
> >
> > QUILL:
> > (1) large feather; (2) hollow stem of a feather > (a) (feather) pen (for
> > writing with ink), (b) (feather) plectrum, (c) (feather) toothpick; (3)
> > porcupine spine; (4) curled-up piece of cinnamon or cinchona bark.
> >
> > < (Middle) Saxon _quiele_
> >
> > If this word survived in a Modern Lowlands Saxon ("Low German") dialect,
> > would expect it to be *_kwyle_ (*<Kwiele> ~ *<Quiele> *['kwi:le]) or
> *_kwyl_
> > (*<Kwiel> ~ *<Quiel> *['kwi:l]).  However, I am not aware of any such
> word.
> Hello Ron !
> I just wrote about the EFLS words "kwîl" and "kwīlen" which have nothing
> do with feathers but I forgot to write the following:
> Why don't You try it with German "Kiel" ?  A "Federkiel" exactly means the
> lower part of a feather where it is attached to the bird's skin but the
word
> also means the writing tool as a whole.
> You find the same word in LS. The word has "keel" as an other meaning,
too.
> Greetings
> Holger

> Moyen, Holger!
>
> Thanks for the input (above).
>
> > A word "tint" or "dint" isn't known anywhere in Eastern Friesland. The
> only
> > possibility for this was if it was directly taken from German "Tinte"
when
> > it would be "tient" which I never heard.
>
> I, too, am suspecting it to be a German loan.
>
> > Why don't You try it with German "Kiel" ?
>
> Indeed!  Good one, Holger!  German _(Feder-)Kiel_ and LS _(vedder-)keyl_
> 'thick bottom part of a feather'.  I think the reason why I didn't make
the
> connection is that I was expecting something with /kw.../ (<Qu...>).  By
the
> way, the origin of German _(Feder-)Kiel_ and LS _(vedder-)keyl_ appears to
> be unknown.

Hello Ron !
The meaning of German "Kiel" in "Federkiel" as well as in the boat's "Kiel"
directly correspondents with "Keil" (wedge, jack) which in LS is "kîl" (or
German based orthography: "Kiel"). Possibly "Kiel" is a LS loan in German.
Regards
Holger