LL-L "Help needed" 2004.03.08 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 8 17:50:22 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.MAR.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Philip Ernest Barber <pbarber at loc.gov>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2004.03.04 (03) [E/S/Latin]

This is the famous medieval prayer: [O] salvator mundi, qui per crucem tuum
et sanguinem pretiosum tuum nos redemptisti, salva nos... There are many
musical setting of it as well.
In the Anglican Book of Common Prayer(1662, tho the translation dates to
1549) (and presumably in Laud' s Liturgy for Scotland in 1637) it reads: "O
Saviour of the world, who by thy Cross and precious Blood hast redeemed us,
Save us, and help us,  we humbly beseech thee, O Lord."