LL-L "Phonology" 2004.03.17 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 18 01:29:13 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.MAR.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Hondshoven <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.03.17 (02) [E]

In my experience as as a speaker of Dutch (and a Flemish dialect) aspiration
does not come automatic even after years of using English. It takes constant
awareness so as not to forget the puff of air afet p, t, k.
Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hi, Roger!

Welcome to the vocal minority!  I'm delighted to see that you have decided
to join us.  (It wasn't really that hard now, was it?  I wish others would
realize that, too.)

Roger, I think it would be fair to say that your statement above applies
both ways.  Aspirating or withholding aspiration feels unnatural, at least
in the beginning, if you come from "the other type."  I, too, have to
careful not lapse into aspiration mode when I pronounce non-aspiration
languages.  However, once the switch has been made, I usually stay in that
mode.  The only problem is that this is hard to pull off when you need to
switch back and forth between an aspirating language and a non-aspirating
language.  Also, I find that, when switching from Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) to German, I tend to stay with LS aspiration pattern (word-initial
only), which gives my German a distinct Missingsch (and thus non-standard)
sound, at least for a bit right after the switch.