LL-L "Phonology" 2004.03.20 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 20 17:12:10 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAR.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Frédéric Baert <baert_frederic at CARAMAIL.COM>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.03.17 (01) [E]

Ron wrote :

>Let me ask speakers of Low Franconian language varieties and of other
>language varieties that do not use aspiration.  How was or is it for you to
>learn English, German, Scandinavian and other Germanic languages in which
>aspiration is (usually) required.  Is it difficult for you to use
>aspiration?  Do you even bother to learn and use it (given the fact that
you
>can usually be understood without using it)?
>
>Regards,
>Reinhard/Ronh

Hi
Sorry to reply to this so late. I'm a french fleming so I speak french and
partially french flemish. I know I have a little flemish accent (my french
friends say that because I can't hear it !).
I don't think it has been difficult for me to learn to use aspiration in
english but I can't say if it's the case for all french people and if I use
aspiration correctly. But there is another point. I think I use sometimes a
little aspiration (not as strong as in english) after the initial
occlusives (especially p and t) in french. In most of cases, I use it to
accentuate the word. i.e. "c'est terrible". The t of "terrible" can have a
little aspiration if I place a stress on the first syllab. I can't say if
it's particular to me, to french flanders or if it exists in other regions
of France.

cheers
Frederic Baert