LL-L "Phonology" 2004.03.20 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 20 23:08:41 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAR.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: Copenhagen/Koebenhavn

Hi everyone,

For the name of the Danish capital we have two very different forms:
1) the Danish (original) Form: København.
2) the English form: Copenhagen, or in German: Kopenhagen.

(For the origin of København, I have heard that the first part means
merchant, and the second means harbour.)

The strange thing about the name is the change from v to g, which is
highly unusual.

Does anyone know how to explain this?

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Moyen, Heiko!

> The strange thing about the name is the change from v to g, which is
> highly unusual.

It isn't as unusual as you may think.  Within the West Germanic group it is
not prevalent, though there are instances such as Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) _blau_ ~ _blaag_ (and Dutch _blauw_) 'blue'.

When it comes to this phenomenon, you need to throw /v/ and /w/ into one
category.  (In such cases they may even be allophones.)

This alternation between /g/ and /v~w/ is quite noticeable within the North
Germanic group.  Note for example Danish _dag_ being pronounced [da:G] ~
[da:w] etc. (hence the spelling <Dau> or <Daw> in Jutish).  Note also the
word for 'sea' or 'ocean' in North Germanic: Swedish _hav_, Danish _hav_
([haw]), Norwegian _hav_, Icelandic _haf_, Old Norse _haf_, versus the word
for 'pasture' or 'garden': Swedish _hage_, Danish _have_ (['ha:və]),
Norwegian _hage_, Icelandic _hagi_, Old Norse _hagi_, and now compare these
with West Germanic cognates such as German _Hag_, Dutch/LS _haag_ and
English _haw_!

This /g/ ~ /v~w/ alternation is very prevalent in other language groups and
families, such as in Turkic and other Altaic languages, where /w/ frequently
alternates with uvular (postvelar) /G/; e.g., _taG_ ~ _taw_ ~ _tau_
'mountain'.  I think this has something to do with a tendency toward lip
rounding while pronouncing voiced velars and uvulars in some language
varieties.

However, note the very word for 'harbor' in North Germanic: Swedish _hamn_,
Danish _havn_ ([haw|n]), Dano-Norwegian _havn_, Icelandic _höfn_, Old Norse
_hǫfn_.  Not a /g/ in sight!  I often wonder if _Kopenhagen_ is derived from
foreign, perhaps Middle Saxon, reanalysis of _havn_ 'harbor' as _hag-en_
'the _hag_ (haw?)'.