LL-L "Etymology" 2004.03.24 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 24 17:01:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.MAR.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Folks,

When I first came across the Scots adjective _draigletie_ 'bedraggled',
'raggety', 'unsightly (from use/wear)', it was like meeting an old
acquaintance.  I wonder why this is, and perhaps you can help me to find
out.  Sure, I could have made a mental connection between it and English
"draggle," "bedraggled," etc., but I doubt it.  In fact, I was so sure that
there was the English cognate *"dragglety" that I was surprised to find no
such word in English dictionaries.  My theory now is that I heard this word
used in American and/or Australian dialects, probably based on Scottish
English, if not derived from Scots directly.  My question thus is if you
know of the use of this word in English dialects other than those of
Scotland, and, if so, what dialects these are.  (I would not be surprised to
find it in Northumbrian, given the closeness to Scots of the dialects of
that region.)

Incidentally, English "draggle" and "draggled" do not appear before the 16th
century (then usually spelled <draigle>, <draiglit> etc., i.e., very
Scots-like), which makes me wonder if it is a Scots or Northumbrian loan.
The earliest known occurrence of English _bedraggle(d)_ (corresponding to
Scots _draigle_, _draigletie_) seems to be from the early 18th century
("Poor Patty Blount, no more be seen Bedraggled in my walks so green,"
(_Oxford English Dictionary_).

These words are related to (_draƽan_ >) "drag" and "draw," with cognates in
virtually all Germanic varieties (usually connoting 'to carry'), but I do
not think that this is terribly significant within the context of this
particular discussion.  (Though within a phonological context, Heiko, please
note that "draw" is another example of the /g/ > /w/ shift we talked about.)