LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.03.24 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 24 20:17:15 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.MAR.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom Maguire <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.03.24 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have to wonder how many of you anglo-saxons truly speak another language
> such as
> Dutch?  Before "lowering" a language like Dutch to a set of "mechanistic
> parts".  I suggest you go and read some books on the human side of
> interaction between countries, one's that cover Culture and History.
>
> The last contributor who I beleive is German has a far better
understanding
> of the
> Dutch who have an rather exceptional record for TOLERANCE and
understanding
> of others than many countries.  I suggest you read the book entitled " The
> Island at the centre of the World", and then The Rise and Fall of the
Dutch
> Republic by J Israel.
>
> Good luck en Lees Smakelik!
> Pieter.

Hello All,

The use of the word anglo-saxons has always intrigued me. I believe they
were a tribe from the coastal area of Northern Europe, (Flanders and
Holland?) who crossed the North Sea and made their way west across
England. Haven't seen many around in my trips through England, but many
people persist to refer to them as if the tribe still existed in the
U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Canada or The U.S.

I'd also like to believe that the Dutch are very tolerant. The ones who
settled in South Africa must have been from a different tribe. Or were
they anglo-saxons?

Generalisations on this scale surely lead to precious little information.

Regards,

Tam
--
Carpe Diem.