LL-L "Syntax" 2004.03.28 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 28 17:17:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.MAR.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: beckivan <beckivan at btopenworld.com>
Subject: (Diachronic) Syntax

Dear Lowlands-L Users,

I have read with interest the comments resulting from Michel Verhagen's
original post concerning reflexives.  I am currently working on a Phd on the
History of English reflexives and am particularly interested in Frisian,
Dutch and Afrikaans due to their similarities and differences with earlier
stages of English.  I'd welcome any further information anyone has
particularly concerning Afrikaans (see below).

For old english the ordinary personal pronouns are used as the reflexive.
The famous examples from Visser being:

judas aheng hine

(either Judas hanged himself or judas hanged him)

self comes in as a reflexive in the early middle english period and competes
with the older form.

Afrikaans as far as I am aware is similar.  I was wondering if there were
any word order differences between the use of the object pronoun and the
reflexive pronoun in order to distinguish them?

I've also heard that Afrikaans is in the process of change with its
reflexive - can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Thanks in advance

Hope this isn't too long, being my first post and all...

Beck Sinar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Syntax

Hi, Beck!

Welcome to Lowlands-L and to its vocal minority!

We may have discussed this topic before, though not in great detail.  (You
could check the archives in substring mode.)  At any rate, I hope you'll
receive the help you expect.

Regards,

Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L