LL-L "Administrativia" 2004.03.31 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 31 22:14:13 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.MAR.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Happy Easter Holidays to all of you who begin to celebrate them this week!
Another week and Passover will be upon us again.

We have been joined by quite a few New Lowlanders since my last
administrative message (March 10, 2004), the last one just a few minutes ago
(from my general neck of the woods, in the Seattle area).  Welcome to
everyone of them!  You will find a list of their places of residence at the
end of this message.

NEWS FLASH:
In the middle of April 2004, Lowlands-L will begin its 10th year!  Should we
plan a special project for our 10th anniversary?  If so, are there any
volunteer participants?

Please, everyone, "new" and "old," make sure you read and understand the
rules and guidelines (http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules). If
you wish to be temporarily absent, please let me know the dates, and I will
be happy to suspend mailings to you.

A few of our subscribers have occasional trouble getting their posting
submissions to arrive via the listserver.  Apparently this is caused by a
combination of the “reply-to” message setup of the listserver and individual
subscribers’ email program setups.  So far we have not been able to identify
the exact cause and thus find out why problems occur apparently randomly.
However, our setup has been tweaked to lessen the frequency rate of such
problems.  If you do not see your submissions displayed or have not heard
from me after about two days, please contact me.  Alternatively, please
resend the submissions to <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net> (instead of the usual
<lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>).  If you turn out to be among the
minority with this recurring problem, please use lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
from then on.  Please do not send the same submissions simultaneously to
both addresses, since sorting out duplicates would be too labor-intensive
for me.

Once in a while people find themselves unsubscribed without notice.  Some of
them immediately suspect the worst: that I have "booted them out" for some
infraction or other.  And I know this for sure only about those that contact
me.  Please do not jump to this conclusion unless you have received prior
reprimands and warnings (which has occurred very rarely, not at all for well
over one year).  If you find yourself disconnected from Lowlands-L, the
reason is most likely that the automated server has unsubscribed your
address because of repeated "bouncing," i.e., because your mail servers keep
informing the listserver that you cannot be reached.  Most of the time this
is due to temporary disconnection.  Sometimes the reason is that a
subscriber’s junk mail filter (or "spam" filter) has not been "told" to
exempt Lowlands-L mail, which is why our mailings do not arrive in your
inboxes.  So, if Lowlands-L mail stops coming, please first check your
"spam" filters and adjust them if necessary, and only contact me about the
problem if all of the above fails.  Should you indeed be disconnected,
please write to me or resubmit an application
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=subscription).  I’ll be more than
happy to bring you swiftly back to the fold.

Thanks for participating in and supporting Lowlands-L!

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

*****

Places of Residence of New Lowlanders since March 10, 2004:

     Belarus:
          Minsk Region:
               Minsk [1]
     Belgium:
          Flemish Brabant (Vlaams-Brabant):
               Molenstede [1]
     Brazil:
          São Paulo:
               Lençõis Paulista [1]
     Denmark:
          Sealand (Sjælland):
               Holbæk [1]
     Germany:
          North Rhine-Westphalia (Nordrhein-Westfalen):
               Soest [1]
          Rhineland-Palatine (Rheinland-Pfalz):

               Landau [1]
     Indonesia: