LL-L "Syntax" 2004.05.02 (04) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun May 2 17:31:47 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAY.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.04.30 (02) [E/LS]

Hello,

Ron wrote:
> Right.  It occurred to me later that that might be the reason why the
> *_Hinnerks öldste Kinner_,
> and *_mien Vadders öldste Kinner_ sounded "sort of acceptable" to me, but
> then not when getting back into the LS groove.
That's interesting. Does that mean that you always use the weak form of the
adjective
after an -s possessive? If yes, this seems to be parallel to Swedish

e.g. Malmö högskolas nya hus =the new house of Malmo University

> > "All den Mann siene Kinner sünd nu al groot".
> > "All mien Vadder siene Frünne sünd kamen."
>
> They sound structurally fine to me, though I personally would say _sien_.
> (Some dialects retain more suffixes than others.)
> _Frünne_ sounds wrong to me (influenced by German _Freunde_), though it
may
> well be acceptable in some dialects.  For me it's _Frünnen_ (_vründen_)
> 'friends', in normal speech mode pronounced [frY.n], in more deliberate
mode
> [frY.n:].
"Frünne" was my mistake. I think even in Westphalian they use Frünnen.

Just a quick follow up... Is the following sentence also fine?
Ik heve all den Mann siene Kinner sehn.

> Nah, no warning for you before the army boot hits you in the behind!  ;-)
> Seriously, though, research is one of the purposes of the List.  If
someone
> has long lists of specific and "tedious" research questions, I suggest
they
> post initial solicitation on the List to create an informant pool, and
then
> move the nitty-gritty to off-list communication.
Ok, thanks. That's what I'll do in my next mail.

Jan Strunk
jstrunk at stanford.edu

----------

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>

Leive Lü,

op en vörschlag von Ron hen versöök ik nu man dormit optehollen so veel
frogen över düsse liste te schicken. Daoför söök ik nu lü de ik in de nästen
3 weken of so af un an maol wat över ehr platt (neddersassisch) fragen kann.
Ik söök sprekers von alle dialekten ut Düütschland, de Nedderlande, un ouk
sprekers vont
Plautdietsche. Ik bün jüst anne universitet in Stanford un schrief an mien
MA-arbeit.
Dat is je nu nich so licht hier lü te finnen de platt snackt. Dorüm mutt ik
dat denn per
email doon. Ik wöör mi wahne dull freien wenn en poor von ju mi ehre email
adressen
tostüren wörn dat ik ehr noch'n beetken wat utfragen kann.

Mien email adress is: jstrunk at stanford.edu

Völen Dank un beste Gröten!

Jan Strunk

Dear Lowlanders,

I would like to follow Ron's advice and stop sending so many question over
this list.
Instead, I am searching for some people who would be willing to be "online
informants" for me
during the next three weeks or so. I am looking for speakers of all Low
Saxon dialects,
from Germany, the Netherlands and also Plautdietsch speakers. Currently, I
am writing
my MA thesis at Stanford university about a linguistic analysis of
possessive constructions in modern
Low Saxon. Its really great to work on Low Saxon and I have also gathered a
huge corpus of
texts but I still need some Low Saxon speakers to ask questions every now
and then. And it's not
easy to find Low Saxon speakers at Stanford ;-). That's why I have to rely
on asking people online.
I'd really be very grateful if some of you would send me their email
addresses so that I can get back
to them.

My email address is: jstrunk at stanford.edu

Many thanks!

Jan Strunk

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Syntax

Jan:

> Just a quick follow up... Is the following sentence also fine?
> Ik heve all den Mann siene Kinner sehn.

Jep.

> Daoför söök ik nu lü de ik in de nästen
> 3 weken of so af un an maol wat över ehr platt (neddersassisch) fragen
kann.

Kanst myn address (sassisch at yahoo.com) dryst up Dyn list doun.  Villicht kan
ik ook twey-drey annere lüyd' vör Dy bevragen.

Kumpelmenten,