LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.05.06 (03) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 6 20:50:15 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.MAY.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2004.05.04 (06) [E]

Mathieu van Woerkom; Hi!
    Yes, I do mean Frysk. Perhaps I should explain that I also refer to
times past, not necessarily the present policies of present governments.
    Let me add, the same 'skandebord' that once hung on the schoolchild's
neck for failing to speak 'The King's English' in my country at the turn of
the last Century was, my family told me, also used in Friesland, no less
than in Ireland & Wales; the cribbaud?
    Yrs, Mark

Mike, Hi!
    Well, Mike, I disagree with you in the case of Latin & of Hebrew. Let me
explain.
    Language is an artefact of communication & cultural transmission. It is
not, by exclusive definition, a product of mother-tongue inculcation &
folk-transmission.
    How can it be? Just because I learned Modern Hebrew as an adult does
that mean I don't speak Hebrew?
    & English; the fact that I learned it mostly from books, does that mean
I can't strip the hide off you with the raw side of my tongue in it? I mean,
we are communicating, aren't we?
    See, we should beware of giving too much force to the term 'Dead
Language". When Hezekiah's Jews returned from the Babylonian Exile, already,
they spoke Aramaic. They found this also the common tongue of Judea when
they returned. No men learned their Hebrew anymore, or very few, from their
mother's breast. But they continued to learn it as a liturgical tongue & as
a language of Law, & they started from the age of five. That practice has
continued unchanged, at least among the Practising Orthodox, from then until
now. Even if Ben Jehuda had never set pen to paper, & Israel still a sweet
dream, men would be communicating in Hebrew, several dialects of Hebrew, &
putting origional work to paper in Hebrew.
    Latin? The same again. When, after the final death-throes of the Roman
Empire, & no mother lulled her child to sleep in that tongue, it was still
being taught in school, growing, developing, & developing dialectic forms
clear across Europe. Scholar spoke & corresponded with scholar, & in the
process saved for posterity a vast cultural treasure, established a Great
Church (which some of us have very mixed feelings about), launched Humanism
& the Renaissance, & is still spoken today by more people than were alive in
the Great Cato's Rome.
    As Mr. R.F. Hahn pointed out in his recent correspondence on the
subject, Swahili has taken the leap from being a 'trade argot' to a mother
tongue. This does not invalidate its status (read usefulness) as a trade
argot. I aver that the same applies to a language that moves in the other
direction. By the way, I believe Afrikaans - Die Taal - was once a trade
argot in the VOC.
    Catalan: I'm sad to hear you tell me this. Can you possibly be wrong? I
have heard that the thrust of economic development in that whole region is
powered by Catalan speakers; so much so that Japanese businessmen recommend
to their colleagues that they learn Catalan. As they say, from time to time
the conversation breaks out in Catalan, & THAT'S when it gets interesting.
    Miccossukee? Tell me more! It's not in my Parlett. Has it maybe another
name?
Yrs Sincerely,
    Mark