LL-L "Phonology" 2004.05.10 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon May 10 16:57:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAY.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: marco [evenhuiscommunicatie] <marco at evenhuiscommunicatie.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.05.09 (01) [E]

Roger Hondshoven wrote:

> Inserting an h in front of words where it does not really belong is a
> well-known fact in many Flemish (both h-retaining and and
> non-h-retaining) dialects. The phenomenon is called "hypercorrection".
> People are aware that the h is (sometimes/normally) dropped in words
> beginning with h and they are equally aware that this is not correct. As
> a result they erroneously add an h to particular words, in a
> subconscious attempt to avoid a similar mistake. I can cite the example
> of "oven" (the same word as in English) in East-Brabant dialects,
> pronounced as "houven" [Èhöuv«]. The last word was written  with the
> symbols of the International Phonetic Association. I wonder how it will
> appear on your screen.

Many speakers of Zeelandic dialects make this mistakes in Standard Dutch as
well. And when they're really trying hard to speak 'proper Dutch', it gets
even worse than just inserting an h where it doesn't belong. Some h's are
then pronounced as a g, which is also a hypercorrection. Many people I know
tend to pronounce the name of the well-know Dutch supermarket chain Albert
Hein as Albert 'Ein in their dialect, but as Albert Gein when talking Dutch
to outsiders (e.g. tourists asking directions).
A classic example is the elderling in a Dutch Reformed Church somewhere in
Zeeland suddenly became aware that a highplaced figure from outside Zeeland
was in the church. He then hypercorrected the word's "God's heil en hulp"
into "God's geil en gulp". I think I'll leave that one untranslated... :-)

Other examples of hypercorrection in Zeelandic are using _ij_ in stead of
_ie_ ("d'r zit een vlijg op de spijgel") an using an _o_ in stead of _eu_
("er zit een dook in 't portier").
The Dutch _ui_ (which is usually an _uu_ in Zeelandic) is a sound that is
difficult for a lot of Zeelandic speakers - they use something that reminds
me of the Hig German _eu_ in stead.

Regards,

Marco Evenhuis

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Interesting, Marco.  Zeelandic and Western Flemish have a lot in common with
Lowlands Saxon (Low German).

_ijs_ = _ys_ (<Ies>) 'ice'

_huis_ = _huus_ (<Hus>, <Huus>) 'house' (cf. Scots _hoose_)

Standard Dutch _ui_ corresponds to _üy_ (<ü> ~ <üü> ~ <üh> [y:]) in cases of
umlauting; e.g., _huisen_ = (_hüyse_) _hüys'_ 'houses' (Dutch-type spelling
_huuz'_)