LL-L "Help needed" 2004.05.12 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 12 14:49:39 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAY.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2004.05.11 (11) [E]

Dear Kenneth,
    Herewith my contribution:
adjectives; well, that depends.

 1) ou = old friend, comrade, (from oud = old). As in, (Wat weet jy, Ou? =
What do you know, Buddy?)
2) ou = give, (as in 'Ou vir Mama') (from hou = hold (Mama hou = Mama (wil)
hou).
3) ou = Western Cape 'Stage Coloured' dialect for oud = old (dumping the
schwa suffix of the weak form 'oue') as in  (Dis 'n 'ou' ding, daardie = Its
an old thing, that).

skurf = scabby, mangy (animals), rough, chapped (hands), obscene (joke).

1) kou = cage.
2) kou = cold, chill, algidity, frostiness.
3) kou = chew, masticate, champ, manducate.

1) dooi = thaw
2) dooi = the first part of the weak adjectival for 'dead' (as in 'die dooie
lam' = the dead lam) or ('die dooie' = the dead one). Western Cape
'Stage-Coloured' dialect for the same, (die dooi lam) (die dooi) or to kill
(Ek't hom gadooi = I killed him).

vroe means nothing by itself, though the Grikwas will pronounce ('vroeg' =
early) in that way. vroeg = early, timely, betimes, matutinal.

1) probaat = efficacious, approved, tested, excellent, sovereign (remedy).
2) But it could also be a borrowing from legal terminology ('probaat' =
legal verification of a testament).

kras - an adjective! For kras = scrape, caw, scratch, screech, carping. But,
the weak form is 'krasse' as in (die 'krasse' oujongnooi = the scratchy old
maid, die 'krasse' the scratchy one.) Alternatively, (Die ou man is 'kras' =
The old man carps) as opposed to (Die 'krasse' ou man = the carping old
man).

Die Groot Woordeboek (vertlende, Engels-Afrikaans Afrikaans-Engels) by
Kritzinger, Steyn, Schoonees & Cronje is my source, for the most part.

    What have you been reading, an old Cape Fistermansroman?

    Yrs Sincerely,
Mark