LL-L "Syntax" 2004.05.14 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat May 15 00:15:21 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.MAY.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.05.13 (04) [LS]

Leive Fruennen,

I am still writing on my thesis about possessive constructions in Low Saxon.
Right now I try to write something about the construction with -s, e.g.
"Hinnerks Hus" (Hinnerk's house).

Unfortunately my collection of Low Saxon texts does not contain a lot of
data on this.
This already indicates two things:
This construction is used rather more infrequently.
It is used in most dialects of Low Saxon except for Plautdietsch (where it
is really unusual although I have found some examples).

This construction is also mostly used with proper names: "Hinnerks Hus",
"Duetschlands Kuest", etc.
However, I know that there are dialects where more complex examples can
occur.
It would be great if Low Saxon speakers on this list could help me get some
data by letting me ask them some questions.

One interesting question is the following. If you can use -s in your dialect
of Low Saxon, what sounds better to you:

Suehst du den Mann dor? De Manns Dochter is mien Fruendin.
or
Den Manns Dochter is mien Fruendin.

How about the following?

Eer Manns Fruend is mien Schoolmester.