LL-L "Names" 2004.05.18 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 18 14:37:27 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.MAY.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.05.17 (02) [E]

Ron wrote:

> > By the way, it isn't unknown for people to put a good countenance to a
bad
> > name, is it?
>
> Not as far as I am concerned.  There are too many stories to relate.  I
> remember the beginning of an autohypnosis class in Germany in which the
very
> scary-looking instructor almost proudly introduced himself as "Dr.
Schreck"
> (German for 'scare', 'fright', 'horror').

There is/was a famous Dutch professor who conducted all kinds of behavioural
experiments on newborns (not as grisly as it sounds; he was the one who put
sugar or lemon juice on their tongues and recorded their facial expressions,
for instance). His name: Naaktgeboren (which means "born naked").

I once had a dentist in Germany who told me that some of his colleagues had
funny names that somehow related to their profession (like Dr. Mund -
mouth - and Dr. Schreck, as in Ron's example). He said he had always wished
that HE had a name like that because he would have found it soooo cool. His
name was Kies, which means "gravel" in German. However, in Dutch it's the
word for "molar", and he was overjoyed when I told him!

Gabriele Kahn