LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.05.19 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 19 17:03:03 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.MAY.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Floor en Lyanne van Lamoen <fvanlamoen at planet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.05.18 (11) [E]

Dear Roger and Heiko,

> From: Roger Hondshoven <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.05.16 (02) [E]
>
> Hi Heiko,
>
> I read your remarks about the pronunciation of Dutch  initial g. I'm
> afraid
> I can't concur with your view concerning the realisation of the anlaut-g
> in
> Flemish. It is true that the Dutch in northern parts usually pronounce g-
> as
> a voiceless guttural  (rather scrapy) fricative sound. In southern parts
> (below the so-called "Grote rivieren") and certainly in Flemish initial g
> is
> a voiced velar fricative, which the Dutch usually call "de zachte g".

In addition:
In the coastal areas of Belgium (perhaps in all "real" Flemish, I am not
sure) and in Zeeland the initial g is often pronounced as kind of h. That's
why Goes in carnival time is called "hanzehat" (ganzengat).

Kind regards,
Floor.