LL-L "False friends" 2004.05.19 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 19 21:35:14 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.MAY.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "False friends" 2004.05.19 (04) [D/E]

Gustaaf wrote:
> It would seem from these admittedly few examples that false
> friends tend to be related to death and decay.

Or sheer brutality... for Germans, it's hilarious to hear that a three-year
old is being "brutaal" to his mother, which to us, as in English, means
"criminally mean and violent", while in Dutch it only means he's being
naughty and giving her the lip. Another one is "slachtoffer", victim; the
German word for victim is "Opfer" (related to "offering"), and a
"Schlachtopfer" (schlachten = to slaughter) would be a human or beast who is
killed in a gory fashion, presumably for eating. In Dutch, you're already a
"slachtoffer" if someone steals your ballpen, or makes fun of you. The word
also applies to traffic casualties.

Gabriele Kahn