LL-L "Signs" 2004.05.20 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 20 14:34:19 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAY.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Signs" 2004.05.19 (12) [E]

In Denmark they have roadsigns to warn of places that might be slippery
in winter: white triangle, red border, slipping car and a text "isglat"
(slippery ice). For a German it looks like "is glatt", which is short
for "Es ist glatt hier".
Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann

----------

From: jmaguire at pie.xtec.es <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>

Hello All,

On the subject of "signs", here in Catalonia it is customary to
precede homes and restaurant businesses with the word "Can"
meaning at, like the word 'chez' in French.

Many restaurants also like to advertise that they serve loads
of food on your plate, too, with the unfortunate word for 'full-
up' which in Catalan is "fart".

However I know one restaurant that wants to appear homely and
also advertise its big helpings of food. The Catalan name
blazoned on its roof is, of course, "Can Fart".

Regards,

Tom

> Ron, I had a friend of a friend tell me that when he was in
Norway, he came
> upon a sign that said fart. His Norwegian driver told him
that it meant