LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.11.01 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 1 18:18:27 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.10.31 (05) [E]

John mah Chaanah!

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

> Yirra, man, Ah rehly luv this list, hey!

> Where else can a ou that lahks langwidges get such a lekka thrill from
> an osbcure thing lahk thet!

 Jislaak Man, Ah smaakit orlso ork.

Yors
Mark

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.10.31 (10) [E]

You know, it's just that personally I'm not interested linguistically in
English so much. Sorry.
I like it though as a language, even think it is a great language with
beautiful literature, poetry, theatre, cinema, songs etc.
For the rest, I wouldn't say modern Lower Saxon much more related to English
than Dutch is, even the opposite.
I think there are dialects in the Netherlands that have more of these North
Sea (Ingvaeonic) features than in Lower Saxony.
I even think that modern Saxon hardly can be seen as the descendant of old
Saxon, modern Saxon is almost as Franconian as Dutch.
Maybe what we call Frisian nowadays is the real descendant of Old Saxon. But
that are just personal theories I cannot prove.
But, if I know Ron well enough now, he often agrees with me on that kind of
points.
But the main reason for me to say what I said is that my brain doesn't
really have to switch to a different channel when I hear Dutch, Saxon or
German, they all feel fimiliar, a bit like home maybe, and for English, or
other foreign languages, a switch must be turned.
So that's all, I just won't react probably when subjects are on English or
Scots for lack of interest.    (Ingmar)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language varieties

Ingmar,

Although one of the primary goals of this list is to bring related
languages, cultures and people together, to facilitate learning about one's
own and related ones, to open minds and thus to help people see "the bigger
picture," there is no requirement to do so, no requirement to develop new
interests, no requirement to open one's mind to things one chooses to close
one's mind to.  We have members with a great variety of interests, some of
them with very general ones, others with very special and narrow ones.  It
is their choice, and that's just fine as long as they do not impose their
choices on others and thus compromise the List's basic scope and purposes.

I personally find it impossible to etymologize without bringing English and
Scots, certainly Old English, into the equation.  I cannot even talk about
Old Saxon without also referring to Old English.  But perhaps etymology is
not your thing, just as you seem to have made up your mind that English and
Scots are not your thing.

There is no prescription for members' ranges of interest.  The only
prescription in this regard is to allow others to exercise their own choices
within the scope of the List.

I am sure there are some people on our list who have "no time" for your
personal hobby and passion, Middelsprake, or who do not go along with your
personal belief that not Lowlands Saxon but Frisian (possibly including Old
Frisian) is the descendant of Old Saxon.  As you can tell, they exercise
tolerance toward your choices and interests, though they will speak up if
your or someone else's reasoning seems illogical or ill-founded.

All that is perfectly fine.  We've done very well like this for nearly ten
years now.

I appreciate your interest.
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L