LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.03 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 3 22:17:49 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.NOV.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.03 (01) [E]

Ron wrote:

> Henry:
>
>>Please also state your age and the place where the dialect is from
>>(placename and general area). The latter is pretty obvious, but the
>>former was Gary's idea. I think it's a good idea, since dialects can
>>vary greatly depending across different ages.
>
> Sure, but you need to leave people some choices, "wiggling room."  If they
> don't want to state their ages, let that be a choice.

Of course, nothing is required. I should have said: if possible, give a
little (or more) information about your variant and the speaker (yourself).

> It would be really great to aim at coming up with phonetic
transliterations
> as well (in IPA script, possibly as graphics)

Yes, I've been thinking of doing that for my version(s). However, I
still haven't had the opportunity to get myself acquainted with IPA.
Mainly because I can't find a good introduction anywhere. Anyone know of
something online?

And do you mean real IPA notation, or X-SAMPA or something like that? I
mean, I don't think I could write all IPA symbols on my keyboard. Maybe
Unicode contains IPA symbols, but that'd be too much work, to use all codes.

> Here is another idea.  When the time comes, we should have a special
> anniversary flag or banner on our homepage (http://www.lowlands-l.net) and
> link it to an anniversary page.  I will write an anniversary message for
it
> mentioning the beginning, saying something about the purposes, development
> and future plans, and dishing out some acknowledgements.  I hope that
> Mathieu, Sandy, Ted and Henry will write their own "blurbs," since they
have
> been helping with the running of the List.

Will try, but don't expect much, I'm definitely not good at that.

> It would be really nice to have this be followed by some other List
members'
> brief messages, talking about their experiences with the List and what the
> List has done for them.

Superb idea. Want me to collect those too, since I'm already collecting
Wren versions?

regards,
Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Anniversary

Hi, Henry!

Thanks for the response.

> And do you mean real IPA notation, or X-SAMPA or something like that? I
> mean, I don't think I could write all IPA symbols on my keyboard. Maybe
> Unicode contains IPA symbols, but that'd be too much work, to use all
codes.

Real IPA in a transparent GIF file.  The symbols are all there in Arial
Unicode.  If it's too hard for you (or anyone else), I (and perhaps Sandy
and/or someone else) can convert SAMPA into IPA.  That shouldn't be a
problem.

> Anyone know of something online?

Start here:
http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipa.html
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm

Dutch: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/dutch.htm
German: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/german.htm
England English: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/english.htm
US English: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/american.htm
French: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/french.htm

> Will try, but don't expect much, I'm definitely not good at that.

Do what you can.  I and others will help you, discretely.  :-)

How about I first receive and peruse them and confer with the writers if
needed, and then I'll send it on to you and Mathieu, or to one of you.  So
let's just do it as I said for now.

Bedankt.