LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.04 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 5 00:34:02 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.NOV.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.04 (08) [E]

Ron wrote:

> The Eastern Friesland project “Plattdütsk bi d` Arbeid” (besünner för jung
> Lü) ("Lowlands Saxon/Low German at Work -- Especially for young people"),
> under the sponsorship of the Plattdütskbüro of Oostfreeske Landskupp has a
> nifty new website:
> http://www.platt-in-action.de/

Nice site. I had a look, you know what I find so peculiar? There's a
poll, I believe on page after you've chosen a language, where you're
asked what's most important, either Low Saxon pop music, business
writing of business lettersin Low Saxon, Low Saxon commercials, or Low
Saxon movies. The results differ greatly between the Low Saxon and the
High German version of the results page. The Low Saxon version indicates
with 38.5% business letters in Low Saxon to be most important (which got
my vote btw), while the High German version says it's movies in Low
Saxon with 50%, which in turn didn't get even a single vote on the Low
Saxon version of the page.

> It comes with a bunch of "cool" stuff, dealing
> with language in schools

Is Low Saxon used in schools anywhere in Germany? I'm rather past my
school days, but I don't think I'm mistaken when I say that the only
place for Low Saxon in Dutch schools is in the school yard. When one
spoke Low Saxon in the class room when I went to school, one could get
several negative reactions, ranging from a mild correction from the
teacher to "strafregels". I don't think that situation has changed much.

grooten,
Henry