LL-L "Etymology" 2004.11.13 (05) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 13 21:28:52 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.NOV.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Rikus Kiers <kiersbv at tiscali.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.11.13 (01) [E]

MoiReinhardt/Ron

Toonbank:
Bank (dutch) is a desk or counter.
Toon comes from the verb 'tonen' which means to show, to demonstrate,. to
display.
So a "toonbank"is a counter on which the goods or products were displayed or
demonstrated in the proces of selling and buying in shops.It was the place
where the customer paid too. It is from times when self-service was not yet
invented. It is still used in most of our shops, even if there is
self-service.
De toonbankis closed at the side of the customers and at the side of the
personnel there are under 'de toonbank' shelves or tills(drawers)on or in
which al kind of materials are stored
which may help for quick and servicefull acting.

Rikus Kiers

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

show, and _bank_ = bench.
_Tonen_ is a rather formal sounding equivalent of _laten zien_ , show.
I think in Flanders it is used in all day speech as well, in the Netherlands
we only say _laten zien_.
Example: _Toon me uw boeken en ik zeg u wie u bent_ = show me your books and
I'll tell you who you are.

According to Jan de Vries'  Nederlands Etymologisch Woordenboek, tonen comes
from Middel Dutch tônen or tôghenen, related to Old Saxon tôgian and Old
High German zougen. Gothic  at-augjan  and Old English æt-iewan prove the
initial t in tonen to
be a prefix.
And indeed, there are forms without t:
Middel Dutch ôghen, Old Low Franconian ôgon and ôginon, Old Saxon ôgian, Old
English eawan, eowan, iewan,
Old Frisian âwa, Old Norse eygja and Gothic augjan.
These words all have to do with eye, Auge, oog.

Since Modern Dutch is mostly derived from Low Franconian,  *at-ôginon or
*tôginon will be the direct ancestors of tonen,
but I only reconstructed these forms, they are not found in old texts.

The Dutch word _toneel_ = theatre, drama, stage, is originally from French
tinel (retinue at the court) < Italian tinello (tup), but became its o under
the influence of the verb tonen.

Ron, whenever you want to know something about Dutch etymology, you can ask
me and I'll look it up for you in this excellent dictionary. Hold fast!
Ingmar

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

version too of the same Dutch Etymological Dictionary somewhere.
Reinhard, I'd like to give that to you as a token of my feelings of respect
and affection to you... which I do not always _toon_ enough.
I'll look it up between my old books at the loft, and if you are interested
please give me your home address so I can send it to you.
Hold fast! Ingmar