LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.14 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 15 01:39:36 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.NOV.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.14 (07) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>English: Oxford Concise Dictionary of English Etymology.
Not the best but it has most words and compares most of them with Dutch and
High German (when cognates exist), but not too much mention of Low Saxon or
Frisian or even Middle English versions.<

Try looking on-line for a 2nd hand version of Eric Partridge's Origins -
once you get into his system, it's extremely enlightening and often fills
the gaps left by CT Onions in his  Oxford Concise Dictionary of English
Etymology.

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

I totally agree, Heather.  Thanks for remembering and mentioning it.

I have found Partridge a fresh breeze many a time.  I recommend it, too.

Gary Taylor:

>  don't have a Scots etymology,
> although I think that in the Scots National Dictionary (hope that's the
> right name) the etymologies are fairly exhaustive.

I find Chambers' _The Consice Scots Dictionary_ very helpful in conjunction
with English etymological resources.  It's paperback edition is quite
affordable, too.  It offers many etymologies and clues.  It's also nice in
that it lists modern and pre-modern dialectal variants, which in itself is
an etymological resource.  And it ain't too shabby, either, that it comes
with phonetics, but that's a different matter.

Kumpelmenten,