LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.15 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 15 21:15:15 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.NOV.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Baron <baro at calvin.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.15 (02) [E/LS]

Gary wrote:
> Also I don't think that modern Frisian or modern Low Saxon etymology
> dictionaries exist - I've never come across one, and being the sad
> sort of person that I am who collects dictionaries I think I would
> have heard of them if they did exist...

Have you checked out the multi-volume "Wurdboek fan de Fryske taal"?

Henry Baron

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.14 (04) [E]

In message <001d01c4ca97$aac66e20$59b88e8c at D5SYLB51>, Lowlands-L
<lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net> writes
>Isn't there a nifty Van Dale dictionary on CD?
>
>Kumpelmenten,
>Reinhard/Ron
There is both a Van Dale dictionary, and Het Woordenboek der
Nederlandsche Taal op CD-rom.  I bought the first thinking it was the
second, and haven't used it since getting WNT.

For English, I don't think there is anything to compare with the Oxford
English Dictionary.  This is hugely expensive, but many universities
give their students free access to the CD version, online.

Best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Pat (above):

> For English, I don't think there is anything to compare with the Oxford
> English Dictionary.  This is hugely expensive, but many universities
> give their students free access to the CD version, online.

Thanks, Pat.  I always enjoy hearing from you, also reading your signature
quote.

I totally agree about the electronic version of the OED.  It is very well
done.  I currently enjoy online access to it through a university.  I
encourage those in any way affiliated with universities to check if they get
access to it.  Many have it and aren't aware of it.

If you want to buy it and can spare £167.99 (US$295, EUR 158.40), by all
means get it, because it is a terrific resource.  You can get it through
virtually any book store, also online.

You can also subscribe to get access to an online version, which makes no
sense if you consider that the annual subscription fee is £350 (about
US$550).  The institutional subscriptions start at £400 and go up to £1000
(US$1600) if unlimited access is required, suggesting that many universities
and colleges can afford to make the site available to students, staff and
faculty.

What I do not know is if the CD version and the online version are in any
way different.  The price difference suggests that there is, but you can
never be sure.  What I particularly care about is if the CD version does or
does not have the etymological and occurrence data the online version has.
Does anyone know?  If it does, the price of the CD isn't that bad (if you
can spare the money), considering the price of other sorts of software.
However, the OED keeps evolving, and the online version is constantly
updated.