LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 16 23:12:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.NOV.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: Anniversary

Some time ago I sent 't Tuunkroepertien, my Low Saxon version of the Wren,
to www.drentsetaol.nl  in order to let them know that this story is being
translated in all kind of dialects and languages for the10 years anniversary
of the LowlandsList. I asked them in another mail if they could explain
that, and ask other people if they wanted to translate the story in
different dialects of Drenthe.
Today  I saw 't Tuunkroepertien was put on the site, but without mentioning
that it is a translation
of an existing story - and not written by me - nor with the question about
other the translations.  I'll let them know again what I meant. Maybe
they'll change it later, I don't know. Bit of a shame, though, because I
wanted our List to be more known amongst the users of Drentse Taol.
Bye,
Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Ingmar,

It would be a good idea to clarify this and your expectations to them
nicely.  Don't just hope, but request it, since it is your right, and it is
a violation of publication etiquette (at the very least) not to mention the
source, thereby misrepresenting the author and the translator.  They may not
intend any of this -- which is my experience with some people involved in
Lowlands Saxon (Low German) publication in Germany, possibly doing this as
non-professionals.  This is why it is a good idea to let them know politely
but unmistakeably and to clearly tell them what you want them to do to
remedy it.

By the way, I've had some web-published texts "lifted" without my name
removed by someone at an Italian university.  More than once have I written
to that person and to the university administration to remedy this, but
there has been no response.  I guess that's as far as you can go without
making it a legal case.  On the bright side, though, I recently discovered
that the page has disappeared from that Italian site, and Italian search
engines and web catalogues no longer list it.  So perhaps the wheels just
turned slowly.  Still, this does not excuse not responding in writing.

Good luck!