LL-L "History" 2004.11.19 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 20 01:18:17 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.NOV.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2004.11.19 (05) [E]

Ron schreev:

> I am under the impression that these offices grew into something more than
> mere accounting offices, that they functioned as something like Hanseatic
> embassies, if not strongholds or political "pressure points," outside the
> Hanseatic domain (which included most important Baltic Sea coast ports and
> had major centers in Lübeck, Hamburg and Bremen, with branches far and
wide,
> also in what are now the Eastern Netherlands).

There are today still a number of cities that call themselves a
"Hanzestad" in the eastern Netherlands. Even my hometown Rijssen is
mentioned as being part of the Hanze at some point in time.

Thanks for the "bit of history" Ron! I already knew a large part of it, but
not all.

regards,
Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

You're most welcome, Henry.

Lübeck, Hamburg and Bremen are "Free Hanseatic" cities, Hamburg even _Freie
und Hansestadt_ ("Free and Hanseatic City"), which accounts for Hamburg and
Bremen being both cities and states in Germany.  They aren't ordinary
Hanseatic cities.  Oh, no!  Oh, no! They're *special*.  ;-)

Lots of cities are still called "Hanseatic," some because of historical
pride, others (that had resented it in the past) because it draws in tourist
money (e.g., Bergen and Gdańsk/Danzig).

I wonder if there is a complete list of these cities.

Apparently this is becoming relevant again, since the fall of the Iron
Curtain.  There are now new, mostly cultural cooperation alliances on that
basis, and you can book Hansa-focused travel tours.  After all, the majority
of these places are situated east of the former Iron Curtain.  Actually, I
wouldn't mind booking one right now, because I seem to be in a historical
kind of mood today.  ;-)