LL-L "Language politics" 2004.11.20 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 21 00:36:10 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.NOV.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.11.20 (02) [E]

Frisian is not different from other regional languages/dialects in this
respect.
But I was wondering if there are numbers about this decline amongst native
Frisian speakers.
As we could read in the article, one third of the Friesland population was
born outside the province, so the majority of them won't be Frisian native
speakers.
But of the 'natives' of Friesland, the population of almost all the major
cities and of some areas speak dialects that aren't Frisian at all, but
Dutch/Hollandish - Stadsfries = city Frisian, Bildts and many Wadden Island
dialect, or Low Saxon in the Stellingwerven.
It would be interesting to know how the situation in the 'real' Frisian
speaking communities is.
hâld fêst, Ingmar