LL-L "Morphology" 2004.10.02 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 2 19:11:03 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.OCT.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jacob SPA <jj.spa at wanadoo.fr>
Subject: correction

Dear Mr Hahn,

Thank you for welcoming me so kindly in French, LS and English. But the
lowlanders won't have understood much of my intervention, because 2/3 ds of
it was cut. For the correct text, see following lines :

About contractions

First of all, let me introduce myself. I'm Dutch and I also speak an LS
dialect (Venoos, spoken in the small town of Vollenhove in the Eastern part
of the Netherlands). I have been living in France since 15 years by now.

The discussion about "Amn't I" may profit from the reading of the paper of
L. Anderwald in Dilectology meets Typology (pp. 47 - 67) (B. Kortmann, Ed.),
Berlin, Mouton de Gruyter, 2004.

Sam Claire asked about contractions in other Germanic languages. Well, see
here the following specimina of verbal contractions from Venoos, most of
them occurring in inversions :

ik ebbe (also : k-ebbe) I have e-k ? have I ?

ik gleuve (also: k-gleuve) I believe da gleu-k wel (litt.: that believe-I
well) I think so

ie emmen you have e-j (from : eb-ie ?) have you ?

as ie vlu:ken if you swear a-j vlu:ken if you swear

dat ie komen that you come da-j komen that you come

ik waole (also : k-waole) I wanted da wao-k nooit (litt.: that would I
never) I never wanted

that

ik zal komen (also: k-zal komen) I shall come za-k komen ? shall I come ?

The personal pronouns involved in contraction are enclitics and can only be
preceded by a vowel, that's why the consonants of the verbs/conjunctions are
deleted. (Two examples of non deletion, because the verb ends in a vowel :

ik stao (also : k-stao) I stand stao-k ? do I stand ?

ie staon you stand stao-j ? do you stand ?

N.B. The last example is a genuine case of non deletion, because in
inversion involving the second person , the verb takes no suffix, just as in
standard Dutch)

But the contractions only occur with verbs/conjunctions that are relatively
frequent. Cf.:

loop-ie do you walk * loo-j

Regards

Jaap Spa