LL-L "Genealogy" 2004.10.02 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 3 01:01:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.OCT.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Genalogy

Gabriele (under "Image"):

> Funny, I also have a half-brother who is a retired Bundeswehr officer.
> Hahn... Kahn... we're not related, Ron, are we? :-)

I'm not a true Hahn.  My paternal grandfather got that name from his
stepfather in Seegbarg/Bad Segeberg, Holsteen/Holstein.  His mother had
taken him there as a bun in the oven before disgrace would hit the fan back
home in Eastern Prussia, now Kaliningrad, Russia.  Tsk-tsk.  Who and what
that great-grandfather of mine was (German, Kashubian, Polish,
Prussian/Pruzz, Lithuanian, Russian, Jewish ...) and what my surname would
have been had he married her is anyone's guess.  Apparently my
great-grandmother took her dirty little secret to her grave.  That
grandfather's wife, my paternal grandmother, was also from Eastern Prussia,
born into a Kashubian-German migrant worker family in a place that is now on
the Polish side of the border with Kaliningrad.  My mother's father
(Brookmann) was from Pomerania (a Social Democrat union man who had sailed
around the world and was killed by Allied bombing of Hamburg while getting
ready to go to work), and her mother was from Lower Silesia, of Sorbian
descent.  Our guess is that we are at least 50% of Slavonic descent, not
something you would have readily confessed during the Nazi period.  Three
out of four grandparents had Lowlands Saxon (Low German) as their native
language, different eastern dialects, with a Lower Elbe dialect added by my
father.