LL-L "Image" 2004.10.03 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 4 04:52:16 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.OCT.2004 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Image

I have not read the responses to my last posting on this subject. If anybody
believes that I have misinterpreted what they were I should be grateful if
they would inform me privately.

I twice said that it was better not to be oversensitive about thinks like
the reference to a Nazi SS rank. The remark was not made to an individual
and in particular not to a member of this list. Ron had previously laid down
(in his laid-back way) that we should not bring historical issues which
involve taking sides into our discussions. Therefore, I suggested, it was
better not to discuss them. I attempted to cut the debate short but Gabriele
would not take the hint. The point which I wanted to avoid saying is that it
is highly insensitive for a German even to _appear_ to be suggesting that
s/he should be the arbiter of what references may be made to the Nazi past.
The "only 10-12 years" remark seemed to me particularly gauche.

It now seems clear that a further major reason for not discussing these
issues is that they cannot be discussed. Only one point of view is
acceptable.

John Feather CS johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

"Goodbye and thanks for all the fish."