LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.10.03 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 4 04:52:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.OCT.2004 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language Contacts

Hi Sandy and All

Sign language has always fascinated me however only
ever having met a couple of people who sign but not
knowing them well enough to ask loads of questions,
I'd thought I'd take the opportunity.

I understand that there are dialectal differences. How
easy is it, as a Scot, to spot a Londoner for example
(and would a Londoner sign London as 'loud'), and are
they distinctive from someone from Brighton, say, (and
would someone from Brighton sign Brighton as
'expensive') or would you have to go further afield to
the South-West or further north to spot a difference?

Do the dialectal differences relate at all to spoken
English (or Scots) dialect differences, as in grammar
differences or are they completely unrelated?

When a non-native speaker is speaking English can you
see from lip-reading that they're a non-native
speaker?

Would you consider BSL to be a Germanic (or even
English/Scots) dialect, or would it have to be
classified in a completely different way?

I could go on, but I won't, cos I'm not sure how
relevant these questions are to the list...

Cheers in advance, and say hello to Scotland from me -
long time since I was last there...

Gary