LL-L "Grammar" 2004.10.05 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 5 16:00:18 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2004.10.04 (01) [E]

LL-L Grammar,
from: Bill Wigham
Dear Mr. Zweep,
        I beg to differ with your assessment of Shall in all its interesting
forms ... and this has no political overtones
I hope.  My Granny Newton, used Shall as an emphatic,  I use to think that
when she said, "you shan't have another piece of candy!" I was about to be
squashed like an ant.  If she said, "You shouldn't have another just now"
...there was hope.

 Another cute expression she used was Dassn't ( I'm faking it because I do
not know how to spell this contraction.  Never saw it in AmE print.)  It was
much more lethal than, "You must not".  Visions of the Knacker coming up the
stairs for me for came to mind.  Of course it means,  "Thou darest not...and
so on"  As all good Jickies know.    Yes, when I would ask Granny what we
were she'd say, "Why, we're Jickies."  I let it go because I thought that
must be somebody from Ashton-Under-Line ( or some such place).

Years later an old Irishman with an obvious ax to grind told me a Jickie
simply was a low-class Englishman, in Gaelic.  My feelings were hurt of
course.   I thought of kicking his ladder over when he was up there changing
bulbs.
Cheers,
Bill
somewhere in Westfield, MA

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l>
Subject: Grammar

Thanks for that entertaining, interesting story, Bill.

So, where did this take place?  In Massachussetts?  I have never heard of
Jickies.  Is the term used in New England, Britain and Ireland?  Do you know
anything about its origin?