LL-L "Image" 2004.10.08 (04) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 8 16:52:56 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.OCT.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: John Baskind <jbaskind at mac.com>
Subject: LL-L "Image" 2004.10.04 (04) [D/E]

On Oct 4, 2004, at 12:43 PM, Lowlands-L wrote:

>  As I said before: this is simply no joking matter.

Ek stem hartlik saam, and I also agree completely.
Good for you, Gabriele, for fighting the good fight. I'd have joined you,
but was busy moving, and off list for the last week or so.

-
John Baskind
jbaskind at mac.com

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Image

Hi, John!

It's good to hear from you, as always.  I hope your moving went well and you
feel at home in your new place, plus, you have had good holidays (if you
celebrate them).

I can only speak for myself, not for Gabriele or for anyone else for that
matter.

Happily, the "fighting" is over now, unless someone else decides to take
John Feather's place, since he has chosen to leave us again.

Debates can very easily get out of hand, which can become very uncomfortable
when the topic is a very sensitive one for one or more participants and
bystanders.  It's great to challenge people, even to play the devil's
advocate in order to stimulate the discussion.  It becomes a different
matter when this is done compulsively, intractably and antagonistically, and
when both sides are unwilling to forego the last word.  This is why our
official request "All exchanges must be in a courteous and friendly tone" is
so important that everyone must (and usually does) bear it in mind at all
times.  I think most people on this list have an easy time with this,
because their minds are not set in an antagonistic mode toward each other,
and I dare say that most of them (at least those that are "verbal") think of
each other in a comradely, friendly and at least forbearing manner.
Generally speaking, we like each other and wink at each other's little and
not so little quirks.   Some of us have very strong opinions about certain
things yet do very well not letting these get mixed up with personal
interaction.  I take my hat off to all of them (and they know who they are).

I think it really, really helps if we do not think of each other and of
ourselves as representative of and as representing our respective "groups"
(countries, ethnicities, religions, etc.), even if we talk about these
things here.   I truly think of each one of you out there as an individual,
your nationalities and ethnic and religious backgrounds being less than
secondary.  There is not a single one of you that I do not actually like.
(And remember that I occasionally correspond with "non-verbal," "lurking"
members as well.)  I do not want to preach here, but on a personal note I
must add that, if you have not already done so, I recommend cultivating such
a mindset (also because it enhances your personal happiness).

It has been nearly ten years now that Lowlands-L exists, and on the whole we
have done extremely well, I think.  We have come together from many
countries, including countries that used to be or are currently hostile
toward each other, even countries currently at war with each other,
countries that some of us are prohibited from visiting.  This is no mean
achievement.  The occasionally "fight" is nothing but a tiny speck on the
radar screen.  While we study past and present, including horrendous events
(which you will see plenty of if you open today's newspapers), we do so in
order to learn from it for the sake of a better future in which such events
are impossible.  The Internet has given us a tremendous opportunity to come
together and go in the right direction.  It may not solve world hunger and
bring about universal human rights overnight, but at least it allows us to
get together for some personal dialogs, and that in itself is
counterproductive to the old tactic of dehumanizing declared enemies.
Knowledge and love are the best defense.

Have a great weekend, everyone!